Toronto Veterinarians - Pet Wellness Network


View Larger Map

Contact Willowdale Animal Hospital

Open 24 Hours, Year Round

256 Sheppard Ave. West
Toronto, ON M2N 1N3
(416) 222-5409

Easter in beautiful Toronto is just around the corner and as they say “April showers bring May flowers!”

Most of us like to freshen our homes with the scent of tulips, daffodils, and lilies this time of the year.  Lilies are beautiful flowers but they are actually quite toxic to our furry friends. They are especially toxic to cats.

pet friendly easter, avoid hazards

Keep your cat away from Lilies this Easter and choose a pet friendly flower instead like tulips or roses.

If your cat ingests any part of the lily flower (including the pollen) it can cause kidney failure and can even  be fatal. Thus even the smallest exposure to the plant should be aggressively treated.

Cats tend to develop vomiting and depression within 2-4 hours of lily ingestion.This is followed by increased drinking and urination.

Treatment is immediate decontamination and fluid therapy for kidney dieresis. Prognosis is usually good with prompt, aggressive treatment.

It is very important to keep any lilies you may have in the house out of reach from our furry friends or perhaps reconsider having lilies in your home at all.

Remember to contact your Veterinarian right away if ingestion occurs. Our Willowdale Animal Hospital is open 24-7 for pet emergencies.

The sooner you are able to get your pet in, the greater his or her chance of survival is. The Pet Wellness Network Veterinarians of Toronto are here for you and your pet.

Choose beautiful tulips over lilies.

Choose beautiful tulips over lilies to keep your furry friends safe over Easter.

Chocolate is another sign that Easter is here! It is delicious to us but very dangerous for our animal companinons. Chocolate ingestion can be fatal to our little ones. Most accidental chocolate exposures in pets occur around this time.

doggie with bunny ears, toronto dogs pet network

Chocolate contains substances called methylxanthines, specifically theobromines and caffeine. When ingested by animals, methlyxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, excessive thirst and urination, panting, hyperactivity, tremors, abnormal heart rhythms, seizures and even death. Dark chocolate is more hazardous than milk chocolate and white chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines in it, while baking chocolate contains the highest levels.

Clinical signs usually occur within 6-12 hours of ingestion but it is very important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Be sure to know the amount and kind of chocolate that was ingested by your pet and contact your Veterinarian and Animal Poison Control Centre (ASPCA) at 1-888-426-4435.

Although Easter is a time that many of us like to celebrate, please be very careful to keep your chocolate treats out of reach from your pets!

We at the Toronto Pet Wellness Network are always here for you!

Keep your furry friends away from Liilies

Keep your furry friends away from Lilies

After Hours Petcare Service