Toronto Veterinarians - Pet Wellness Network


View Larger Map

Contact Willowdale Animal Hospital

Open 24 Hours, Year Round

256 Sheppard Ave. West
Toronto, ON M2N 1N3
(416) 222-5409

It is reported that three dogs have died in Leslieville over the past day with signs of toxicity.  It is suspected that they died from ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) toxicity. It is still uncertain whether this was a deliberate poisoning or accidental ingestion. The police are apparently investigating and postmortem findings are still pending. Ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) is found in almost all radiator fluid meant for vehicle and industrial radiators. Ethylene glycol is added to prevent the radiator from overheating or freezing. Ehtylene glycol has a fluorescent green-yellow appearance due to the fluoroscein stain that is added. Ethylene glycol has a sweet flavour and dogs often like the taste of it. And most of all, ethylene glycol is extremely toxic in small amounts and kills rapidly. The treatment for ethylene glycol toxicity is only truly successful if the animal is treated within a few minutes of its ingestion. What can you can do? 1.   If you see a spill of fluorescent liquid on the road dilute it many fold. Hose it down or pour buckets of water on it. The more dilute it is the less appealing to dogs and the less toxic it will be. 2.   Keep your dogs from eating anything foreign. Dogs will find many toxic items. Most are left behind by careless people or are naturally occurring in the environment. Only occasionally will people try to deliberately poison the local animals. 3.   If you know your dog has ingested a toxic item (particularly antifreeze), call your veterinary clinic and get your dog into a clinic immediately. In the case of anti-freeze poisoning, you may need to get your animal to a referral or emergency hospital where they will have the test and treatment readily available. With anti-freeze poisoning, the only real chance of successful treatment is treating immediately after seeing the known ingestion. So if you see your pet ingest a fluorescent yellow-green liquid then get your animal into a veterinary clinic immediately. Try to call en-route to see if they have the test and treatment available. If they don’t they will re-direct you to a hospital that does. Please contact your local Pet Wellness Network Animal Hospital for more information.

After Hours Petcare Service